Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I enter the "amount borrowed" into the Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet (came up during review)?

During review (for one of my 1098, I guess), an error popped up with "Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet ([lender name]): Amount borrowed this year must be entered."

I went back and over the questions again - multiple times - but there is no field for this or I'm looking in the wrong spot. (TurboTax Deluxe Desktop 2020).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

How do I enter the "amount borrowed" into the Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet (came up during review)?

Please go back through the 1098 section and remove any decimal points. Round .50 and up to the next dollar and .49 and less down to the whole dollar.  

TurboTax chooses to use rounding. 

According to the IRS:

“Computations

The following information may be useful in making the return easier to complete.

Rounding off dollars.

You can round off cents to whole dollars on your return and schedules. If you do round to whole dollars, you must round all amounts. To round, drop amounts under 50 cents and increase amounts from 50 to 99 cents to the next dollar. For example, $1.39 becomes $1 and $2.50 becomes $3.

If you have to add two or more amounts to figure the amount to enter on a line, include cents when adding the amounts and round off only the total.”

IRS Pub 17

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! While the above wasn't what helped in the end, it got me closer to what was needed to resolve this: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/no-outstanding-mortgage-principal-on-1098-form/00...

(e.g. there was a blank field for "Outstanding mortgage principal" in box 2 of one 1098 after the mortgage was bought by a different bank - with its own 1098; yet the error "Amount borrow" missing is really bad as this amount literally isn't asked for anywhere)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Some TurboTax Online customers are getting Error Ref 9-945-263 pertaining to their Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet when working on their return. 

Don’t worry! We’re currently working to resolve this inconvenient issue. If you’d like to receive progress status updates, please sign up here

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure that this is the same issue as "Error Ref 9-945-263". I don't get this error.

If it were, when can I expect this to be fixed? It's been weeks now with the same error and the tax deadline is approaching quickly.

I just updated the desktop app again but it doesn't seem to be fixed.

Who can help?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Please go back through the 1098 section and remove any decimal points. Round .50 and up to the next dollar and .49 and less down to the whole dollar.  

TurboTax chooses to use rounding. 

According to the IRS:

“Computations

The following information may be useful in making the return easier to complete.

Rounding off dollars.

You can round off cents to whole dollars on your return and schedules. If you do round to whole dollars, you must round all amounts. To round, drop amounts under 50 cents and increase amounts from 50 to 99 cents to the next dollar. For example, $1.39 becomes $1 and $2.50 becomes $3.

If you have to add two or more amounts to figure the amount to enter on a line, include cents when adding the amounts and round off only the total.”

IRS Pub 17

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! While the above wasn't what helped in the end, it got me closer to what was needed to resolve this: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/no-outstanding-mortgage-principal-on-1098-form/00...

(e.g. there was a blank field for "Outstanding mortgage principal" in box 2 of one 1098 after the mortgage was bought by a different bank - with its own 1098; yet the error "Amount borrow" missing is really bad as this amount literally isn't asked for anywhere)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies