Solved: How do I enter self employed health insurance deduction?

kerelewis

How do I enter self employed health insurance deduction?

I need to get my self employed health insurance cost to show on Line 29, Form 1040

Phillip1

It depends on what kind of business you operate.

If your self-employment income is through a sole proprietorship reported on schedule C. You will need to use TurboTax Home and Business or TurboTax Self-Employed online. To enter the insurance premiums, you will do as follows:

1. Go to the Business category.
  2. Go to the Business Income and Expense subcategory.
  3. Choose the option "I'll choose what I work on"
  4. On the screen labeled "Let's gather your business info", find the section labeled "Less Common Business Situations".
  5. Click start or update next to the line labeled Self-employed Health Insurance.

If the business is a partnership or an S-Corp, you will enter the self-employed health insurance at the end of the K-1 entry section. 

Phillip1

1. Go to the Business category.

Mike the lefty

I have gone through those steps several times.  When I click on self employed health insurance it simply goes to the next window about self employed retirement plan.  Not way to put in the amount I pay.  Can't find a way to enter the numbers.  Help!!!

@Mike the lefty 

Are you filing a Sch C ?   Or do you get a K-1 ?  

Ricky20

I have the same issue.

following the instruction provided did NOT allow me to enter my self-employed health insurance. When I go into the corresponding business, there's no place to enter the insurance expenses.

I am sole proprietor.

Please help!

Where to enter Self Employed Health Ins

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/entering-importing/help/where-do-i-enter-my-health-insurance-premi...

Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 16 then to 1040 line 8a, as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 Schedule 1 line 16, and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

BUT do not enter any Health Care Marketplace insurance you bought.  If you enter the 1095-A and select the "Self-employed and bought a Marketplace plan" box, it will automatically include those premiums in the SE Health Insurance section.  So you shouldn't enter it again on schedule C.

@Ricky20 wrote:

I have the same issue.

I am sole proprietor.

Please help!

Edit your business.  Click on Add Expenses for this work

Scroll down and click on Less common expenses to open the section.

Scroll down and click on Health insurance premiums

Continue

SE Health Insurance.JPG