turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

patrick9

How do I elect a section 179 deduction for a vehicle purchased in 2017 in Turbo Tax Home & Business?

The truck is over 6,000 lbs, has a cargo space over 6' and is used more than 50% for business. I have been guided through no depreciation options.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies

How do I elect a section 179 deduction for a vehicle purchased in 2017 in Turbo Tax Home & Business?

While in the Business Tab in Turbo Tax Home & Business, scroll down to Business Expenses 

Select Business Vehicle Expense

From here you will enter the information about the vehicle, including business miles.  You will have to answer all the questions about the vehicle and eventually you will get to a screen where you tell Turbo Tax you want check actual mileage calculation or actual expenses.  See screen shot #1 attached.

Once you enter actual expenses, you will eventually be asked to put in your cost for the vehicle, and then the 179 option will show up. See Screen #2 attached.

Note my screen shots got out of order, so I numbered them.

patrick9

Thanks for the response & screen shots--but I have yet to see the 'section 179' screen

Did you not get to screen shot #2?  There really is no section 179 in Turbo Tax.  You just try to select actual expenses for your vehicle which will allow depreciation.  Section 179 is part of depreciation section.  It is hidden well!

Thanks so much! Question for you. I’m on this screen and it’s askimg me how much Secrion 179 deduction to take. I have a Tesla Model X heavy SUV (>6000 lb GVWR) which qualifies for $25k section 179 PLUS 100% bonus depreciation. In that event, do I list here $25,000 and let TurboTax calculate the 100% bonus depreciation OR do I list the 100% (business use was 100%) value of the car that I paid when I acquired it? Thanks!!

Thanks so much! Question for you. I’m on this screen and it’s askimg me how much Secrion 179 deduction to take. I have a Tesla Model X heavy SUV (>6000 lb GVWR) which qualifies for $25k section 179 PLUS 100% bonus depreciation. In that event, do I list here $25,000 and let TurboTax calculate the 100% bonus depreciation OR do I list the 100% (business use was 100%) value of the car that I paid when I acquired it? Thanks!!

No matter what I do I don't get the 179 deduction screen.

Same here, I don't get to section 179. TurboTax asks me if I wanna go back to the standard mileage or stay with the recommended actual expenses.  The moment I select actual expenses and click continue, TurboTax just keeps churning and it hangs forever until I go to another page. The only way to get back to the vehicle expense page is to manually delete the form from Texas Tools then go back and enter a new Vehicle Expense.  But it will not allow me to get to section 179.

Anyone find a solution for the Section 179 screen not appearing when entering vehicle expenses?  I am also looking for it

Ok, KerilP

As you can see your answer did not work and we are still all in the same boat. some lets go over this step by step and explain just exactly how do we get to section 179. I did what you said as other replies to you and it constantly only gives me two options. mileage @ $150 deduction or actual = a $54 deduction. No where does it ask me if I want to take the 179 for a $10000 deduction like the IRS is saying I can do!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So just exactly why am i paying for this program if I have to fill out the form by hand?

@Dodgei 

The Form 4562 Depreciation and Amortization is not yet finalized for tax year 2019.  Section 179 is reported on the Form 4562 when using Actual Expenses for the vehicle.

Depreciation 2019 UC.JPG

DoninGA,

I am not sure how this is supposed to help. The current rules for sec 179 go back to 2017. If what your showing me is that turbo tax has not finished a way to enter the information to claim Sec 179, and they had all this time,  then its time to find a new software. 

It's not as if  I need tax help; I know the law, the program is not doing what it is supposed to do in/at the location it is supposed to do it dispute what kerriP says. 

Just stating that the IRS Form 4562 has yet been finalized for filing by TurboTax since it has to be approved by the IRS for e-filing.

There are multiple IRS forms that have not yet been finalized for tax year 2019.  See this TurboTax support FAQ for IRS Forms Availability when using the online editions - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

ps......This is a new forum layout. Some posts that have June 2019 dates are really older posts from the old forum that got moved over. So they might be for prior years and not current info. When they migrated over the dates got changed to June 2019. And the screen shots got deleted. 

DoninGA,

Thank you for the help. I'm actually working on 2017

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies