Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How do I claim the difference between mileage paid and IRS rate?

1 Reply
Level 10

How do I claim the difference between mileage paid and IRS rate?

If you itemize deductions on your tax return, you may be able to deduct the difference between the standard mileage rate and the amount for which you were reimbursed as a job-related expense. For employees, job-related vehicle expenses are reported on Form 2016, Employee Business Expenses. These expenses are carried to Schedule A, Itemized Deductions, where they are subject to the 2% rule.

When you enter your business mileage in TurboTax, we'll ask questions about the business use of your vehicle and use the standard mileage rate to calculate the business mileage deduction. You'll be prompted to enter any Reimbursements You Received (see attachments below for reference). TurboTax will deduct your reimbursement amount from the total and give you a deduction for the difference.

See the FAQs below for instructions for entering your job-related employee expenses in TurboTax and for an explanation of the 2% rule.

Privacy Settings