Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I calculate the Tax Withholding Addition/Subtraction Adjustment amounts for community property?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JaimeG

How do I calculate the Tax Withholding Addition/Subtraction Adjustment amounts for community property?

If you live in a community property state, you will generally split it all 50/50. Some states have specific rules regarding the split, but most community property states follow the 50/50 rule.  The exception would be income earned on assets or investments that were owned by a spouse prior to the marriage and not commingled. Also, inherited income that was not commingled. 

For Example; You earned $100,000 of income and your husband has $60,000. Jointly you have $160,000 and in a Community Property State you each have $80,000.00. So in this case you will have subtracted $20,000 to your income and your husband would have added $20,000 to his

Community Property states are: ArizonaCaliforniaIdahoLouisianaNevadaNew Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.

FYI - When you file as Married Filing Separately, if one spouse itemizes on Schedule A, the other must also itemize on Schedule A.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JaimeG

If you live in a community property state, you will generally split it all 50/50. Some states have specific rules regarding the split, but most community property states follow the 50/50 rule.  The exception would be income earned on assets or investments that were owned by a spouse prior to the marriage and not commingled. Also, inherited income that was not commingled. 

For Example; You earned $100,000 of income and your husband has $60,000. Jointly you have $160,000 and in a Community Property State you each have $80,000.00. So in this case you will have subtracted $20,000 to your income and your husband would have added $20,000 to his

Community Property states are: ArizonaCaliforniaIdahoLouisianaNevadaNew Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.

FYI - When you file as Married Filing Separately, if one spouse itemizes on Schedule A, the other must also itemize on Schedule A.

bekavegan

For RDP in Nevada do we do the 50/50 split same for "Tax With Holdings"  My RDP reported $9000 in federal taxes paid on his W-2. I paid nothing in taxes on my 1099-misc. So do i add half his taxes withheld at $4500?

How do you figure out the amount to adjust your withholdings?  We get the 50/50 rule.  This answer doesn't answer the question asked.

Is this amount based on AGI or gross income?
shaker907

Answer does not address the question.

biztaxlady1
Returning Member

This IRS manual may give a principle to consider on this question (I am not a tax lawyer -- so consult a tax attorney to be sure what applies to your situation).

25.18.1.2 (03-04-2011)  Property Rights and Federal Taxation
Federal law determines how property is taxed, but state law determines whether, and to what extent, a taxpayer has "property" or "rights to property" subject to taxation. Aquilino v. United States, 363 U.S. 509 (1960); Morgan v. Commissioner, 309 U.S. 78 (1940). Accordingly, federal tax is assessed and collected based upon a taxpayer's state created rights and interest in property.

25.18.1.2.4 (03-04-2011)  Tax Assessment and Collection under Community Property Laws

For income tax purposes, if spouses file separate returns, each spouse is taxed on 50% of the total community property income regardless of which spouse acquired the income. Poe v. Seaborn, 282 U.S. 101 (1930). In addition, each spouse is taxed upon 100% of his or her separate property income. Community property may also affect basis in property.

Source: https://www.irs.gov/irm/part25/irm_25-018-001

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies