Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I fix this? Form 2555-T: Total Foreign Earned Income has a value for foreign earned income but dates for the foreign earned income exclusion aren't entered.

My wife is a self-employed attorney who has elected to be treated as a US resident for income tax purposes. We live in Thailand. I have entered the dates of her presence in Thailand for purposes of the foreign earned income exclusions as 01/01/2018-12/31/2018. Turbo Tax accepts these dates. I have visited the foreign income screens many, many times and have filled out everything, but still get this error about the dates not being entered. What should I do?

(Note that I filled out the tax forms myself last year and received the foreign earned income exclusion for my wife's self employment income.)
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I fix this? Form 2555-T: Total Foreign Earned Income has a value for foreign earned income but dates for the foreign earned income exclusion aren't entered.

It turns out that the solution to this problem is not the dates used to calculate the 330 day presence period, but the date that tax residency began. In other words, the wording of the error message is misleading. I tried entering the date my wife's actual tax residency began, but that didn't work. Then I just made up a date in 2017, and that worked. 

So odd.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

It turns out that the solution to this problem is not the dates used to calculate the 330 day presence period, but the date that tax residency began. In other words, the wording of the error message is misleading. I tried entering the date my wife's actual tax residency began, but that didn't work. Then I just made up a date in 2017, and that worked. 

So odd.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies