Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I claim child care credit with no EIN or social?

Hi, Can you clarify which form I should send to my care provider by mail  to request his information a W10 or W9 ?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Either form is acceptable. It is capturing the same essential information and is not submitted to the IRS, @Opus 17 @SweetieJean and @Carl are correct.

The General instructions of Form W-10, first column state: You may use Form W-10 or any of the other sources listed under Due diligence below to get this information from each provider.

Form W-10 Dependent Care Provider’s Identification and Certification can be used instead of Form W-9 Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification since Form W-10 is a specific form for care providers.

It does not require them to identify their business entity type but otherwise accomplishes the goal: getting the provider's taxpayer identification number, which is needed to file for the Child and Dependent Care Credit.

@richard899

You don't even make sense. How is there no deadline when there's a deadline to have taxes filed? I highly doubt it's a $50 fee. You might wanna look into getting an actual attorney and not a Facebook one

@Natashamaried This thread is old---the last time anyone posted to it was months ago.   Not sure which post in this thread you are trying to respond to.   Do you have a question or concern about how to enter the information to get the child and dependent care credit on your own tax return?   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

either form. but you should get the form at the very start of their "employment". getting it later can be difficult or impossible especially if they've been paid. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you can. See the IRS website, it's an easy read:

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/childcare-cr[product key removed]ts/child-and-dependent-care-credit-flexibl...

Question
My babysitter refused to provide me with her social security number. May I still claim the amount I paid her for childcare while I worked? If so, how do I claim these childcare expenses on my tax return?
Answer

Yes, you may still claim the child and dependent care credit when you're missing the provider's social security number or other taxpayer identification number by demonstrating due diligence in attempting to secure this information.

Claim the childcare expenses on Form 2441, Child and Dependent Care Expenses and provide the care provider's information you have available (such as name and address). Write "See Attached Statement" in the columns missing information. Explain on the attached statement that you requested the provider's identifying number, but the provider didn't give it to you. This statement supports the exercise of due diligence in trying to secure the identifying information for the claim.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies