turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

l00sed0g

How can I back out HDCP premiums included with HSA contributions in W-2 Box 12 Code W?

Box 12 code W includes total payroll deductions for HSA and HDCP medical plan which pushes me over the contribution limit.  Can I back out the medical plan premiums somewhere?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I back out HDCP premiums included with HSA contributions in W-2 Box 12 Code W?

No. Don't change the amounts entered on the W-2.

If the employer accidentally commingled the contributions to your HSA (which is code "W" in box 12 of the W-2) with premiums paid for your HDHP health insurance (which is code "DD" in box 12 of the W-2), then the employer needs to issue you a "Corrected" W-2.

This is because in the situation you have described, that you have likely not over-contributed to the HSA, but since the IRS has gotten a copy of this W-2, the IRS will think that you have. Contact the HR/Payroll department and ask them to correct the W-2 and to send it to you (and copy the IRS). Don't file until they do this.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No. Don't change the amounts entered on the W-2.

If the employer accidentally commingled the contributions to your HSA (which is code "W" in box 12 of the W-2) with premiums paid for your HDHP health insurance (which is code "DD" in box 12 of the W-2), then the employer needs to issue you a "Corrected" W-2.

This is because in the situation you have described, that you have likely not over-contributed to the HSA, but since the IRS has gotten a copy of this W-2, the IRS will think that you have. Contact the HR/Payroll department and ask them to correct the W-2 and to send it to you (and copy the IRS). Don't file until they do this.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies