Hi, I paid $10,000 in 2019 to settle a personal in...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I paid $10,000 in 2019 to settle a personal injury lawsuit that was filed from an accident i was involved in a couple f years ago. Can i claim this as a deduction?

2 Replies
Level 15

Hi, I paid $10,000 in 2019 to settle a personal injury lawsuit that was filed from an accident i was involved in a couple f years ago. Can i claim this as a deduction?

No.  That is a personal expense.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Level 15

If the injury was caused in the course of your business and you file a business tax return, it is a deductible business expense.  If it is a personal expense (you don't have a business or the injury was not caused in the course of business activities) then it is not deductible. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings