turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fostena

Can I use lodging per diem rates from gsa.gov for job related travel expenses at temp work locations (union carpenter)? Or is it actual receipts only? I'm finding conflicting answers in turbotax. I know I can use meal per diem but just need to know the

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Can I use lodging per diem rates from gsa.gov for job related travel expenses at temp work locations (union carpenter)? Or is it actual receipts only? I'm finding conflicting answers in turbotax. I know I can use meal per diem but just need to know the

You can use either.  This link taken from IRS Pub 463:  https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch06.html#en_US_2016_publink1000283280, allows you to use the GSA.gov per diem amounts for both lodging and meals and incidentals for approved travel expenses.  The GSA.gov website for these tables can be seen clicking on this link:  Per Diem Rates - GSA

You may claim actual expenses if they are not considered lavish or extravagant, but, having said that, the per diem amounts are actually quite generous numbers.  (I recommend familiarizing yourself with Pub 463 some as it is the authority for all of these types of questions on deductible business travel).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
fostena

Can you use the lodging per diem rates if you stay with a relative or friend instead of at a hotel when on business travel?  If so, what documentation is needed since there is no receipt.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends on the type of accountable plan you have with your employer.  Here is a direct link to the IRS guidelines on recordkeeping of these expenses:  (copy and paste link):  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch05.html#en_US_2016_publink100034069">https://www.irs.gov/pub...>
fostena

Here are a couple of other answers to lodging per diem.  Both say you can only use actual cost not per diem.  No wonder I'm confused.   Most answers that I'm finding state you can only use actual receipts.

"There is no optional standard lodging amount similar to the standard meal allowance. Your allowable lodging expense deduction is your actual cost."
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/ch01.html#en_US_2016_publink100033790">https://www.irs.gov/pub...>
TaxGuyBill 3 months ago

Per Diem is only for meals (Meals and Incidental Expenses, or MI&E).  Lodging must be based on actual cost only.  While the Government sets maximum lodging amounts in each area for Government Employees while traveling, that's a maximum amount, not per diem, and applies only to Government employee reimbursements.
DaveC1
Returning Member

Thanks for your reply....I didn't see an explanation on how to use Standard Lodging rates....can you use Standard rates even if they are higher than actual?  Thanks, Dave

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You should use the actual and keep your receipts. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies