lynnmarandola1

Hello! If your employer contribution to your HSA is captured on your W2, do you have to also add your 1099-SA? When I do, Turbo tells me I have an excess contribution.

DMarkM1

No, you will not add the contribution amount from your W2 again. However, you will go through the interview to answer other questions on your 1099-SA form.  Again be sure to delete any duplicate contribution amounts that you may have entered.

Adding a 1099-SA (a distribution) can't by itself create an excess contribution situation.  You would have an excess contribution situation if you double-counted your contributions, or if you did not indicate you had qualifying HDHP coverage.  The 1099-SA would show up as taxable income, unless you check the box that says "I used all the money for qualified medical expenses," but it would not show up as a contribution. 

lynnmarandola1

This was it! I didn't realize I had a qualifying HDHP coverage. Thank you so much!