Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I had a large Forex loss in 2016 amounting to almost -$50k. Do I put the full amount of my loss, or only the $3,000 which I can deduct?

TD Ameritrade does not provide 1099 forms for Forex trading, so the only thing I have is a printout of my Forex trading statement. 

I have read conflicting information from others in the Intuit community, but some have said I am supposed to put my losses under:

Less common income - Misc income 1099-A 1099-C - Other reportable income

From what I understand, I am only allowed to deduct $3,000 every year until I no longer have a net loss. However, what amount am I supposed to put in Turbotax? Do I write the full amount of my loss, or do I only write -$3,000, and then report -$3,000 again on my next years taxes, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help from the community. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Hello, I had a large Forex loss in 2016 amounting to almost -$50k. Do I put the full amount of my loss, or only the $3,000 which I can deduct?

Yes, enter the actual activity that occurred during the tax year, even if you had more than $3,000 in losses. TurboTax will calculate the allowable loss and provide a "Carryover" loss to be included on future tax returns until all the loss is used up.

Gains and losses on investment in Foreign Exchange contracts are reported as Other Reportable Income.

The easiest way to find this section of TurboTax is to use the Search box at the top right side of the TurboTax header. Click on the magnifying glass, type in "other reportable income", hit Enter, and click on "jump to other reportable income" to go directly to beginning of this topic.

See the discussion below (note: there is no upload option for these trades, they must be entered manually):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4260903

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, enter the actual activity that occurred during the tax year, even if you had more than $3,000 in losses. TurboTax will calculate the allowable loss and provide a "Carryover" loss to be included on future tax returns until all the loss is used up.

Gains and losses on investment in Foreign Exchange contracts are reported as Other Reportable Income.

The easiest way to find this section of TurboTax is to use the Search box at the top right side of the TurboTax header. Click on the magnifying glass, type in "other reportable income", hit Enter, and click on "jump to other reportable income" to go directly to beginning of this topic.

See the discussion below (note: there is no upload option for these trades, they must be entered manually):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4260903

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mkhussar

If the turbo tax general advice was useful we wouldn’t be searching the internet for the correct way to report forex losses. My first time this year. What did you figure out? I’m finding it difficult to find guidance on this, specifically related to turbo tax. I’d rather not pay an accountant, but this scenario is rather vague unless you actually fill out all the needed forms and mail them in. Isn’t there a way to input this into the turbo tax platform?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies