Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Got an electric vehicle late in the year that qualifies for tax credit but says $0 what is needed to get the credit?

i've already checked and my car is on the current list. would the credit be rolled over to next year?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Got an electric vehicle late in the year that qualifies for tax credit but says $0 what is needed to get the credit?

The credit will be the amount of tax liability you have. Anything else rolls over to next year. 
the max credit you’ll actually receive is limited to your tax liability for the year. 

is there a place I can see what amount will roll over?

The EV credit does  NOT carry forward ... if you cannot use it all in the year of purchase  it is simply lost.  If this was for your 2021 return then it is too late to do anything about it now.  

If you are estimating for the 2022 tax return then you still have time to increase your income by the end of the year ... converting IRA or selling stock are 2 ways to do it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies