Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 2555-t: When checking for errors, TurboTax is (now after update) saying that Travel - Days in US on Bus - 2 is not between the upper and lower prescribed limits.

The application has me fill out the dates of trips to the U.S., how many total days, how many days on business (ZERO in my case) and how much income earned while on those trips (ZERO).  There are two trips to the US which were not business related - vacation days.  Can I just skip these errors and file the return or is there something I am missing?  Thanks. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Form 2555-t: When checking for errors, TurboTax is (now after update) saying that Travel - Days in US on Bus - 2 is not between the upper and lower prescribed limits.

If you are filing using the Physical Presence Test

On Form 2555 in your forms section, Part III under line 18, check the box on the form that states:

Check here if you have no travel to report during the period. 

I didn't see this question in the interview section of TurboTax.

If you are using the bona-fide resident test, I will forward your question for our review team and will update you but it might be a week or so.

I don't know if you can e-file with the errors.   Please let me know what FEI exclusion test you are using.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If you are filing using the Physical Presence Test

On Form 2555 in your forms section, Part III under line 18, check the box on the form that states:

Check here if you have no travel to report during the period. 

I didn't see this question in the interview section of TurboTax.

If you are using the bona-fide resident test, I will forward your question for our review team and will update you but it might be a week or so.

I don't know if you can e-file with the errors.   Please let me know what FEI exclusion test you are using.

Thanks for the response, TurboTaxKarenJ.  I am using physical presence test.  The questionnaire asks: "Did you make any trips longer than 24 hours to the United States.....?"  I answered yes, then tried to fill out the trip information.  With the most recent update, I cannot put zero in the box for Number of Days on Business.  The two trips are for vacation.  The beginning question does not say "for business."  May I skip reporting the vacation trips to the U.S.?  I can send you screenshots if you need them.  Just let me know how to get them to you.  Thanks again!
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Leave the question blank that asks Number of Days on Business  and leave blank the question regarding Income Earned in the US.   I believe that will work.  If not, leave out the vacation days to the US if you are sure that you have no more than 35 US days in a 12 month period (Just make sure you qualify for the PPT).  Let me know if leaving the 2 questions blank works.

Leaving the two questions blank worked!   I went through to the end to make sure no errors popped up, as well. Thank you!!
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Perfect!  Glad it worked.
alisham

it did not work for me!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies