Form 1099NEC

kengriffin1962

Form 1099NEC

I was a sales clerk in a store. My employer gave me a 1099 NEC form. I was not the owner of the business and I am having trouble answering the questions.  I entered the business name and TIN. 

How do I correctly file this?? We know we did it wrong last year and we have not received our refund. Don't want to make the same mistake this year. 

Form 1099NEC

If you work in a store you are probably an employee.  Your employer should be giving you a W2 not a 1099NEC. A 1099NEC is for independent contractors.  Talk to your employer about that.

If you got a 1099NEC that is self employment income.  

You are self employed and have to fill out schedule C for business income.  Then you are the owner of your own self employment business.  You are in business for yourself.  Use your own info.  The people or company that pays you is your customer or client.  You need to fill out schedule C for self employment business income.  You are considered to have your own business for it.  YOU are the business.