Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 1040-sr, Line 12b (charitable contributions if you take the standard deduction (Turbo Tax Deluxe)

That is not my case. When I itemize it says that is the best option as it is over 25k. And it also shows I’ll get more $ back if I itemize BUT it does not actually update my refund with the itemized amount when I select it, it stays with the value shown in standard deduction. I can change back and forth and my return value on federal does not change, it is keeping the  standard figures regardless of what I pick

jws1040

Form 1040-sr, Line 12b (charitable contributions if you take the standard deduction (Turbo Tax Deluxe)

I really thought I was going NUTS trying to get the same **bleep** error message to go away -- after repeatedly correcting the WRONG $300 value with the CORRECT $600 value i DON'T KNOW how many times!! I finally decided to give this forum thing a shot and entered a query -- truly believing I was the only one having this issue! THANKS SO MUCH FOR SHOWING THE SOLUTIONL or WORK AROUND!! Believe it or not I've been a dedicated user of Turbotax for well over 25 years and this is the first time I've had such a stubborn issue and also the first time I've sought help from the forum!! AGAIN, THANKS SO MUCH!!

JERRY SEGAL

Plantation, Florida

Ok logged in today and looks like bug is fixed. I chatted with a live expert, she showed me that my itemized amount was 25350, so that was what I picked, but then it chose the standard underneath because the standard with the $600 cash donation was more than my standard.

so Even though I chose itemized it was really picking standard

Using Basic version from a CD. After several attempts to revise the amount of charitable contributions after standard deduction, I went directly to line 12C on the 1040 form which allowed me to enter specific name and amounts which all have receipts . The total was more than 600, but it passed the review. The printed 1040 shows the standard deduction and the  value over 600 on line 12b. Is this legal? If not how did it pass the review? What do I need to do if anything?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

First, be sure that you have updated the program to the latest version by going to Online > Check for Updates in the upper left section of the screen.  

If your printed Form 1040 line 12b is showing an amount greater than $600 for any filing status, then it is incorrect.  The amount must have been entered using the override option or it would have been flagged as an error.  

Take a look at the amount reported on lines 12a and 12c to determine if the incorrect amount on line 12b was actually used in the calculation.  If line 12c is equal to 12a minus 12b, then you should amend your return to correct it. 

When I attempted to enter an incorrect value for line 12b, the program would not accept it unless it was an override.  Even with the override, the line 12c calculation was correct regardless of what was entered on line 12b.  As long as line 12c is correct, then there is no issue with your return.

@jimg4956

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies