Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to report Schedule K-1, line 13 Other Deductions, Code M? IRS states amounts paid for medical insurance may be reported on Schedule 1 (1040) line 29.

I am using a Turbo Tax Premier version 2018. 

I am retired and received a partnership K-1 which shows: Box 4 guaranteed payments ( I reported on Schedule E) and Box 13 M for other deductions. 

Essentially this is the health insurance premium that I paid through partnership and therefore listed on K-1. This is unrelated to business as I am already retired. 

IRS instruction on K-1 box 13 says amounts paid for medical insurance premium may be reported on Schedule 1 line 29 if not itemized as a deduction.  I am using standard deduction for 2018. 

I followed instructions but this amount on medical insurance premium that I paid through partnership is still showing as an itemized deduction and not on Schedule 1 Line 29 as an adjustment to income. 

Is this because I am using Turbo tax premier? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

How to report Schedule K-1, line 13 Other Deductions, Code M? IRS states amounts paid for medical insurance may be reported on Schedule 1 (1040) line 29.

For the box 13 code M amount on the Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) to appear on Schedule 1 line 29, you must have net earnings from self-employment reported with code A in box 14 of the K-1.  Otherwise, you can only take a Schedule A medical expense deduction for the health-insurance premiums paid.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Hi!  I am having the same problem as stampdisney.  I do have net earnings from self-employment reported with code A in box 14 of the K-1.  However, the health insurance premium still isn't showing up on Schedule 1, line 29.  Any suggestions for this situation?  Many thanks!
dmertz
Level 15

The sum of Schedule 1 lines 27, 28 and 29 is not permitted to exceed net profit from self-employment.  Make sure that the Self-Employed Health and Long Term Care Insurance Deduction Worksheet has the correct amount on line B.
dmertz
Level 15

For the box 13 code M amount on the Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) to appear on Schedule 1 line 29, you must have net earnings from self-employment reported with code A in box 14 of the K-1.  Otherwise, you can only take a Schedule A medical expense deduction for the health-insurance premiums paid.

Hey thank you for the quick answer, this is super helpful! Turbo tax community rocks!

Do you show partnership medical payments both as a guaranteed payment, and a Line13M deduction?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Partnership medical payments are reported as a guaranteed payment.

As @dmertz stated so clearly above, they can also be reported on line 13M  if you have net earnings from self-employment reported with code A in box 14 of the K-1.  

From See IRS Publication 541 PartnershipsPremiums for health insurance paid by a partnership on behalf of a partner, for services as a partner, are treated as guaranteed payments. The partnership can deduct the payments as a business expense, and the partner must include them in gross income. However, if the partnership accounts for insurance paid for a partner as a reduction in distributions to the partner, the partnership cannot deduct the premiums.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies