turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Need help for 1099B for foreign jurisdiction. proceeds are actually taxes paid to foreign jurisdiction. how do I enter in Turbo tax

I work for a foreign company.  I was granted company stock with a 3 year vesting period.  At the vesting period I selected to sell the amount of stock to cover the appropriate taxes which were paid to a foreign jurisdiction.  The 1099B is showing gross proceeds of 14,601, but this was actually the amount covered on the 42K of stock that vested.  How do I input this into Turbotax as the 1099B shows as gross proceeds or a gain and taxing me again on this number.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Devin

Need help for 1099B for foreign jurisdiction. proceeds are actually taxes paid to foreign jurisdiction. how do I enter in Turbo tax

For sell to cover transactions, the value of the stock is part of your wages. If you receive a W2 from this foreign company, then the box 1 wages should already reflect this. (If you don't receive a W2, then you should add this amount to the foreign wages you're reporting.)

As for the 1099B, start by reporting the the sale using all the info from the 1099B. If they've indicated this is a "noncovered" (or "Box B", or "basis not reported to the IRS") transaction, then just report the same amount for basis. Actually, if there were selling fees -- commonly these may have a small broker commission -- you should add that to the amount of income already in your wages. If the 1099B indicated it's a "covered" (or "Box A", or "basis is reported to the IRS") transaction, then put whatever they reported for basis (usually $0) in the cost basis field in TurboTax, but then indicate you have "additional info" to enter by selecting the "I'll enter additional info on my own" button. Enter the amount already included in wages (plus broker commission, if applicable) in the "corrected cost basis" field. This will result in no gain on the stock sale so you're not double-taxed on the income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies