Solved: For home office expenses/deductions, where and how to I enter the cost of a new water heater that cost $885?

For home office expenses/deductions, where and how to I enter the cost of a new water heater that cost $885?

This question is specific to the cost of a new water heater that cost $885 that I want to enter as a home office expense.  Can i enter this as an expense somewhere or do i have to treat it as an asset and take depreciation?

The replacement of a water heater would be a depreciable asset but you can choose to expense it.  Since it is only $885, depreciating it would result in a very very small benefit.

You would enter the water heater cost in the Home Office section under Repair Expenses 

To do this click the following

• Business
  • I'll Choose what I work on
  • Update next to Business Income and Expenses
  • Edit next to your business
  • Start next to Home Office Expense under Business Expenses
  • Walk through all the questions until you come to the Repair Expense question.  
  • You may not see this question if you are choosing the simplified method.  You will see it if you are taking the actual expense method. 

The water heater would not just be used for the home office, would it?

No.  It is for the entire house.  Thanks.

To do this click the following

• Business
  • I'll Choose what I work on
  • Edit next to your business