turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Filing as Head of Household without claiming child dependent

@poohj80 wrote:

@macuser_22 I tried this and the question as to whether the other parent can claim still did not come up.

Did you totally delete the dependent first and re-enter?

It works fine for me.

Screen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.08.20 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.18.06 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.10.06 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.10.14 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.10.22 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.10.30 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.10.42 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.11.06 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2021-01-21 at 11.11.13 AM.jpg

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@macuser_22  Thanks for posting your steps above as there are several I am not seeing.  Is this in the online version or software version?  I am using the software and deleted the dependent before trying again without luck every time.

I have not seen the questions asking who the child's parents are or the child's living situation when answering the questions after selecting Head of Household filing status.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@macuser_22  You appear to be testing with an MFJ return. poohj80 is single and trying to file as HOH. I think that's why it works for you and not for poohj80. It does not work for a single (or divorced) filer.

You are correct.  the workaround only works for joint returns.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Good news...with TurboTax's latest updates, the question of whether the other parent can claim the child finally popped up.  However, there are still a few bugs as I had to go through 3 iterations before it would still accept me filing as Head of Household with a non-dependent, but at least it's progress!

Thanks to everyone for your assistance!

what exactly did you do?? im stuck trying to figure out the same situation. It tells me I cant file as HOH because i did not pay for more than half of his living expenses when i didnt even get asked that question. Please advise if possible

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, that question does appear in the Dependent section in MY INFO.

1. Log into Turbo Tax. open up the MY INFO section of your rreturn.
  2. Scroll down to dependents and answer all the quesytions the program asks for.
  3. Go the the section that says Let's check if anyone else supported XXX last year
  4. Did you or XXX pay for more than half ofXXX living expenses in 2022? Here you will say yes.
  5. Here is a screenshot of what this looks like.

@liddybaby86

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
poohj8080

I posted the initial question 2 years ago, but it didn't work for me until the software was updated several times after I started my taxes. If you have teh software, make sure you search for new updates each time you open the software.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies