turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

coolcats98
Returning Member

Filed as a dependent by mistake! (Stimulus Check?)

When filing in 2021, will I receive a credit or a refund? Will the $1,200 be posted into my bank account (assuming no money is owed to the IRS and my income remains less than $40k) or is it just a number on the tax form?

Assuming they send out more than one stimulus check, will they also be posted into a bank account next year after filing taxes?

I do not trust HR Block. They don't know what they are doing. If my filing status didn't matter, I should have received a check as I was not claimed.

kyleadrian30
Returning Member

I have somewhat similar question but instead of checking the box to where someone can claim me as their dependent. I didn't check the box. It was an honest mistake It was my first time doing it since I didn't get qualified for the stimulus check and my mom think we can do a non filer form since I don't get paid much last year and she can still put me as her dependent. but the IRS accepted my efile.  so when my mom tried to put efile her tax with me as her depended it gives her an error because of my SSN being accepted already by IRS. Can I amended that form? so my mom can file me as her dependent. we got an advised from H&R block to mail the 2019 taxes since we can't do anything electronic anymore.  I know I am not eligible for stimulus now if someone is claiming me. And i felt bad that my mom can't claim me even though she can.  pls we need your advised.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@coolcats98 

Q. When filing in 2021, will I receive a credit or a refund? 

A. First, you'll receive a credit; then you'll receive a refund.

In 2021, "it" will be a refundable credit. So, yes,  the $1,200 (or however much is left over after deducting tax liability) will  be posted into your bank account.

They won't be sending out more than one stimulus check.  You'll either get it this year or next. Not both. If next year, yes it  will  be posted into a bank account after filing taxes.

Yes, it's a number on the tax form?  But it' a real number.

Hal_Al
Level 15

@kyleadrian30  H&RB is correct, your Mom has to mail her taxes in.  She can no longer efile*. But, she should claim you as a dependent, on her mailed in return. 

In the mean time, you should file an amended return to unclaim yourself.  But, Mom does not have to wait for you to do so. 

*Technically, she can e-file after your amended return is fully processed, But that will be 4 months or more from now.  Paper filing will, more likely, get her refund in 2 months. 

harwy6

Hello,

I turned 25 in April of 2019 and did not attend school. I by mistake checked the box that asked if someone could claim me as a dependent. I do not qualify as one so will they ignore my mistake and still send me the stimulus check? Or do I have to amend it? 

@LinaJ2020 

kyleadrian30
Returning Member

Thank you so much for your reply.. it was very stressfull for me & my mom.. just one check that we missed. Do i need to attached any paper on the amended form?

kyleadrian30
Returning Member

@Hal_Al can i also file my 2019 tax after i filed my amended form? Technically the non filer didn’t ask me anything except my SSN and bank account just for the stimulus pay but since i know that was a mistake cam i still file my 2019 tax? Should i include that on my amended form? Thank u

Hal_Al
Level 15

"can i also file my 2019 tax after i filed my amended form?"

My answer assumed you had already efiled your tax return.  

Now, I think you're saying you just filed a non-filer form.  I don't know anything about how to change those.  

So, you can file your tax return anytime. Your Mom is still gonna have to mail her return. 

kyleadrian30
Returning Member

@Hal_Al We went to IRS website we saw the non filer application for people who makes less tha $12K or didnt have to file 2018 or 2019 tax yet so we can get the stimulus check. That is the on we efiled yesterday it only ask for the SSN & bank acct. then IRS accepted it but we didnt check the box for someone claiming me. It created a 1040 form. That’s why i want to file an amended form. 

cstevense8
Returning Member

@Hal_Al So essentially if I filed that i could be claimed as a Dependent on both my 2018 and 2019 taxes and my parents didnt claim me when i go to file as an independent in 2020 i should be receiving the stimulus money in my return

cstevense8
Returning Member

@Hal_Al Or would it be worth it to amend my returns now and wait a few weeks

Hal_Al
Level 15

@kyleadrian30 

Sorry, I can't help you. This non filer filing is too new .  I don't know how to amend or change a non-filer filing. 

cstevense8
Returning Member

@Hal_Al I filed for both 2018 and 2019 I'm asking would it be worth it to wait till 2020 or change them now and wait a few weeks

kyleadrian30
Returning Member

@Hal_Al Someone told me the best I could do is file my 2019 taxes & my mom will file her taxes as well then put a letter & explain what happen & if we received the stimulus check for filing the non filer form.. we will wait for the IRS decision on where to send the money back since i am not eligible for that in the first place... hopefully, they will be willing to be understanding in this kind of situation. They said the non filer form we dont know if amending it right since this is just for the stimulus money & not a permanent situation...

Hal_Al
Level 15

@cstevense8 

If you checked the box that said you can be claimed as a dependent, you will NOT receive the stimulus payment, even if your parents did not actually claim you.

What is not clear is what will happen if you file an amended return to only uncheck that box.  Several people have asked that question and so far a clear answer has not been received.  For sure, it will be a while before you get the stimulus. 

But, if you don't get it in 2020, you will get it in 2021.

"In essence, the stimulus check acts as an advance of your 2020 income tax refund. This means when you prepare your 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit. The credit on your 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020. If the amount you received as a stimulus check is less than the credit you are due, the difference will be included as part of your 2020 refund. If you have been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, you will not be required to return any excess amount".

Reference: https://www.dailylocal.com/news/coronavirus/what-does-the-stimulus-check-mean-for-your-taxes/article...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies