Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Carl
Level 15

Filed as a dependent by mistake! (Stimulus Check?)

I just started my first job ever last year. I do live at my parents house but I earn more than 10k a year.

If, on Dec 31 of the tax year you were:

- Under the age of 19

*******************OR*****************

Under the age of 24 and a full time college/High school student for *ANY* *ONE* *SEMESTER* that started in the tax year and;

*YOU* did not provide *MORE* than 50% of your own support for the *ENTIRE* tax year, and;

Were enrolled in a course of study at an accredited learning institution that will lead to a degree or certification, then;

Your earnings *DO* *NOT* *MATTER*. You could earn a million dollars (literally!) and still qualify as a dependent on your parent's tax return. Understand that there is *NO* requirement for your parents to provide you any support. Not one single penny. The support requirement is on you, and only you.  Since you only made about $10-11K in 2019 *AND* you lived with your parents, there is no way possible on this green earth that you provided more than 50% of your own support. Therefore your parents' qualify to claim you as a dependent.

Now understand this: Your parents have a choice. *You* do not have a choice.  You "MUST" select the option for "I can be claimed on someone else's return" and it flat out does not matter if your parent's claim you or not. THe key word here is *QUALIFY*. If the above conditions are true, then your parents qualify to claim you on their tax return, and it flat out does not matter if they actually claim you or not. You have no choice but to select the option for "I can be claimed on someone else's tax return" weather your parent's actually claim you or not.

Additionally, dependents *over* the age of 16 on Dec 31 of the tax year do not qualify the parents for the additional $500 per dependent.

Hey, I'm in a situation as well. 

This year, I accidentally filed as a independent, (my first year filing taxes), though I am usually a dependent. I recently got my refund, and was looking to file an amended return. However, I received the stimulus check, and I have not yet made motions for the amended return. Is it still necessary to do so? Are there any potential consequences since I recieved the check? I am 18 and so it is obvious that college students are typically not eligible as dependents. In 2020 though, I plan to file as a dependent. Will I have to pay the money back, or have problems with my tax credit for next year? My income is way below the limit for dependents, and will most likely be the same next year. 

Can someone help me out? In 2019, I moved out of my mom’s house in April. I’ve lived with my boyfriend at his moms ever since. The only bill my mother pays of mine is my phone bill. I pay for my college, car, car insurance, and anything else I want or need. I checked the box also that says “can you be claimed as a dependent?” No one claimed me as a dependent though. What can I do?

elliYEET

hey @Mizmokitty22 . I’ve made the same mistake unfortunately.. From what I’ve seen, one source says that if you were not claimed that you may still be eligible. However, the IRS page makes it seem that if you filed that you can be claimed then you are ineligible. The only thing I’m aware that we can do is try to amend your tax forms, send it in & hope for the best. Of course this will take a couple weeks for it to be finalized. 

I would recommend that you wait for somebody with more expertise to use to chime in before you do so. In the meantime, check out irs.gov/Coronavirus/get-my-payment to see your current status on receiving the “Economic Impact Payment”. I foolishly did so only after filing the amendment, so it says status unavailable. Hopefully you’re in the clear to get it though!

anna4311
Returning Member

Question answered 

Hal_Al
Level 15

@anna4311 

The answer to that question is not clear (it's been asked frequently here, with no clear cut answer, yet).  If you do get a stimulus, it'll be a long time coming.  In the mean time, he'll have to pay back the $500 other dependent credit, he got for claiming you.  You may just want to wait til next year.

Under the CARES Act, if you are claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return you cannot receive a stimulus check, in 2020.   If you were claimed as a dependent for 2019, but will not be for 2020, you will most likely get it  in 2021.

"In essence, the stimulus check acts as an advance of your 2020 income tax refund. This means when you prepare your 2020 income tax return, there will be a line to include the section 6428 credit. The credit on your 2020 return is subtracted by any amount received as a stimulus check in 2020. If the amount you received as a stimulus check is less than the credit you are due, the difference will be included as part of your 2020 refund. If you have been overpaid by receiving the stimulus check, however, you will not be required to return any excess amount".

Reference: https://www.dailylocal.com/news/coronavirus/what-does-the-stimulus-check-mean-for-your-taxes/article...

anna4311
Returning Member

Thank you, that answers my question! 

Did it cost you money to amend on your turbotax? I clicked no for both answers, but then it told me I had to pay $110 to file. Thanks!

Marcloman

I did my son taxes and out of habit I checked he could be claimed on someone else taxes but after reading the qualification he doesn’t qualify as a dependent. He’s 22 and not in school. Not disable. Should I amend his taxes so he can recd the stimulus?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Hello my name is Ben! I understand this question has been asked a lot but I’m still not sure what to do. So here it is. On my 2019 federal tax return, I made the mistake of checking the box that someone can claim me but no one actually can and when it ask you if someone did claim you, I put no.  So do I need to amend my return to get my stimulus check? Also I had a local CPA and Jackson Hewitt and H&R Block told me it wouldn’t matter but I’m trying to find out for sure! Please help!!! Thank you so much!

Hal_Al
Level 15

@Comer15 

There's been no update, so there's still not a clear cut answer.  If you decide to amend, let us know how that works out.

For now: the answer is here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/re-dependency-question/01/148683...

If I amend, I’ll definitely let everyone on here know how it went. Also if you find out any more information on this question please let me know! Thank you very much.

coolcats98
Returning Member

My HR Block representative told me it doesn't matter if I filed as dependent or independent. They are not the brightest honestly. They also released a tweet on their official page stating your filing status doesn't matter.

I'm mailing in my amendment today, April 16th, following the advice given from TurboTax. Hopefully I get my stimulus check or the (rumored) $2,000/mo income they plan on sending out now. 

Do not listen to HR Block.

Hal_Al
Level 15

There's a grain or two of truth to the H&RB comment.

With the tax law change, effective 2018, most dependents will get the same refund whether they claim themselves or not. The personal exemption has been eliminated and the standard deduction increased.

As for stimulus check, if you don;t get it in 2020, you'll get it in 2021, unless you screw up again. 

When you file your  2020 return in 2021, you will have the opportunity change your dependent status and  to report the amount of the stimulus check(s) you did receive, and if it was less than what you were entitled to, you will receive a credit on your 2020 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies