Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member




Four years ago we purchased a second home for my mom to live in. It was rented to her below fair market value, therefore we never claimed rent or depreciation since we've owned it. She is now disabled and we need to move her close to our primary residence. She will be renting - we are not planning to purchase her another property at this time - as we are unsure of her health. Are there any exclusions to help reduce capital gains on the sale of the home in this case? The funds will be used to help care for her going forward. Thank you in advance for any feedback. 

3 Replies
Level 15


Nope ... you are simply selling a second home that you have been letting  family live in so you will pay taxes on the long term cap gains no matter what the proceeds  will eventually be used for. 

Level 15


If you sell at a loss, the loss is not deductible, because it is "personal use" property. 

Level 15


@kuglerk - can you claim Mom as a dependent? At least that way you may be able to deduct her medical expenses

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies