lmevans70

Excess social security withholding

After entering my husband's W-2, Turbo Tax is stating that he has an excess of social security taxes withheld. We requested an updated W-2 from his employer. His emploer says it is the correct withholding amount. When I calculate Box 4 by 0.062 the SS withholding is correct. How can I get Turbo Tax to recognize this?

Excess social security withholding

@lmevans70 wrote:

I entered 3,544.82 and still an excess withheld of 185.97.

Delete the W-2 and re-enter manually 

Excess social security withholding

If the SS taxes withheld are even off by $0.01 the program will give you the message that the employer needs to refund the excess SS withheld.  Try removing the cents for the SS taxes in box 4 of the W-2 and that should correct the problem.  This change will not affect your tax return or the amount of actual SS taxes withheld and sent to the SS Administration.

lmevans70

Excess social security withholding

I removed the cents and Turbo Tax is still telling me that there is an excess withheld of 186.00.

Excess social security withholding

What is the amount in box 3 of the W-2?  What is the amount in box 4 of the W-2?

SteamTrain

Excess social security withholding

Does the notice indicate that his particular employer withheld too much? or just a general statement that too much was withheld.

For instance, if you had entered your own W-2, but accidentally assigned it as his, then there could be too much total between the two W-2 forms...but only because one of the W-2 forms was assigned to the wrong person.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
lmevans70

Excess social security withholding

Box 3 = $57,174.78. Box 4 = $3,544.84

Excess social security withholding

@lmevans70 wrote:

Box 3 = $57,174.78. Box 4 = $3,544.84

That would be correct.  What happens if you enter 3544.83 or 3544.82 in box 4 and continue?

lmevans70

Excess social security withholding

Turbo Tax is stating that "It looks like you are due a refund from your employer". Then lists his employer. I do not have taxes withheld as I am receiving disability. I have opted not to have taxes withheld from my Group DI.

lmevans70

Excess social security withholding

Excess social security withholding

@lmevans70 wrote:

Delete the W-2 and re-enter manually 

lmevans70

Excess social security withholding

That worked. Thanks.

JohnW152

Excess social security withholding

If TurboTax is telling you that there’s excess Social Security withholding of $186.00, that means the program is “seeing” Social Security withholding of $8,723.40 for your husband – the maximum amount that can be withheld ($8,537.40) plus $186.  See Line 10, Excess Social Security and Tier 1 RRTA Tax Withheld in the Instructions for Forms 1040 and 1040-SR for more information.

SteamTrain’s guess that perhaps one of your W-2s was entered under your husband’s SSN seems the likely culprit.  Double-check all of the W-2s that you’ve entered into TurboTax. 

You might also try deleting all of the W-2s, then re-input them.  Please see the TurboTax Help article How do I delete a W-2? for guidance.

Also see the TurboTax Help article Can I get a refund for excess Social Security tax withheld? for more information.

lmevans70

Excess social security withholding

I think I entered too many numbers to make it work and it didn't like that. Got hung up on whatever numbers I originally entered.

tkocarek

Excess social security withholding

I found that when I downloaded the W2s, TurboTax assigned the same employer ID to both W2s.  All the other data downloaded correctly. Once I corrected the IDs it calculated the Social Security withholdings correctly and acknowledged a refund. So check your employee IDs.  I can't believe they put this product on the market with these errors.  And to suggest that I should go to my employer for a refund?  They obviously have people working on the software that don't know anything about tax code.  Very disappointed.

TK421451

Excess social security withholding

TT 2021 desktop seems to have several bugs. I had two employers - yet TT desktop attributed all the SS Withholding to only one and said I needed a W-2C. The online version correctly adds the excess amount to line 7 of 1040 sched 3- yet the desktop version doesn't. I had to add it manually.

And no easy way to reach a developer to fix this error.