Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paul416
Returning Member

Error on line "h" of Form 1116 - Not calculating 1099 DIV Box 1b

I'm finding an error message on Form 1116 Comp Wks.  This figure should be the sum of Forms 1099 DIV Box 1b the qualified dividend amount  plus in some cases Box 7 d.  This calculated itself in TurboTax 2020 but not calculating in 2021.  Manually inserting the amount fixes the problem but it should be self calculating as it was last year.  Anyone else experiencing this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Line 1h is the foreign sourced qualified dividends only. 

Paul416
Returning Member

Yes, I agree but line "h" is the sum of boxes 1b on the 1099.  So if you have let's say 3 - 1099 DIV with box 1b filled in and all of the 1099 was foreign sourced income then the 3 box 1b's of the 1099 DIV should be calculated to line "h".  If it is not 100% foreign source income then it will pick up Box 7 on the 1099 DIV.  It worked i.e. it calculated automatically in 2020 but is not working for me on the 2021 return.  I have to fill it in manually otherwise it shows as an error on the 1116 Comp Wks.   Just pointing out what I think may be an error in the 2021 version.

The starting point is 1f. It is the total of all sources of gross income that you have. It is brought down to 1g. TT does not calculate the foreign source qualfied dividends in 1h. It is inserted by the user. TT then subtracts 1h from 1f and puts the remainder in 1g. The end result is 1f-1g = 1h.

Paul416
Returning Member

Thanks for that but TT did calculate it in 2020.  Went back and checked.  Just wondering why not this year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies