turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Long Term Care deductions self employment

I want to make sure I am properly deducting long term care premiums.  It appears that most people deduct them under medical expenses but I assume that is only useful if you reach the rather high medical expense threshold to beat the standard deduction.  But when entering K1 information for my wife I noticed a box under "Describe the Partnership" > "I personally paid health insurance and/or long term care insurance for myself and my family."  I checked that box and entered the amount of LTC premiums that my wife and I pay.  TT immediately dropped the amount of tax owed so this appears to be unrelated to the regular medical expense deduction.  Am I correct to enter it here?  Am I right that adding LTC premiums as a medical expense would not result in a deduction if other out of pocket expenses are low?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

You are correct.  If entered in the medical itemized deduction area, the medical gets reduced by 7.5% or 10% (depending on age) of your adjusted gross income. 

Where you are entering it now, is much better from a tax perspective, as there is no reduction due to being a K-1 holder (self-employed). 

Great job!  The information below is directly from the IRS web site.

Don’t Miss the Health Insurance Deduction if You’re Self-Employed

IRS Tax Tip 2013-43, March 28, 2013

If you are self-employed, the IRS wants you to know about a tax deduction generally available to people who are self-employed.

The deduction is for medical, dental or long-term care insurance premiums that self-employed people often pay for themselves, their spouse and their dependents. 

Source:  https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/dont-miss-the-health-insurance-deduction-if-youre-self-employed

Thanks.  Are you a CPA or just a general tax aficionado?

CPA, 34 years with IRS and 6 here with TurboTax.

Enjoy helping others doing their taxes correctly, paying only what they owe.

Well thank you again.  I didn't realize TT hired experts to help us out.  I am glad they do.  Enjoy your Fed retirement when you finally get to it, I am enjoying mine. 😉
MM627
Returning Member

I entered the premium amounts for myself and spouse, both under $4000, under self employment income expenses.  TT shows it as fix needed and won't allow me to e file.  The note says that the amount exceeds maximum.  We showed a net profit for self employment.  Why is it being questioned?

WKins2
Expert Alumni

Most of the TurboTax experts are CPAs and have the training and knowledge of both the changing tax laws and the software. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies