Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

walkinaz

EIC denied

I am doing my grand daughter's taxes for her as I have done for the last 5 years.  I have always used Turbo Tax.  Never a problem until now.  In doing the EIC credit she has passed all of the qualifications for the credit.  Her earned income is well below the max amount of earnings, does not have any investment income, is filing single with 2 qualifying children with SS numbers.  Nobody can claim her or her 2 children on their taxes.  I took the qualifying test on the IRS website for qualifying for the EIC credit and passed.  IRS says her EIC in $4232 for tax year 2023.  So what gives with Turbo Tax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

EIC denied

Yes, it sounds as though she does qualify for Earned Income Credit (EIC), so the thing to do next is to review the information in TurboTax to make sure that all of the questions have been answered correctly.

Here's how to do that:

1. Open your return.
  2. Sign into your return and click on My info on the left side menu.
  3. Scroll down until you see your dependent's name.
  4. Select Edit. 
  5. Carefully review the information in this section. 
  6. Repeat for each dependent.
  7. When you are done reviewing your dependents, select Deductions & Credits, then select Start or Edit to the right of Earned Income Credit.
  8. Answer the questions on the next few screens according to your situation.
  9. You will get a message at the end of the section explaining your results. 

If you don't understand the message at the end, respond back and TurboTax can help you further.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

EIC denied

One question in the dependent's section that will trip you up is the one on if the child is providing more than 1/2 of their OWN support ... many read it as the parent provided the support ... read that screen carefully.  Unless the kids are independently wealthy and own the home they live in the answer here should be NO.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies