Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

matt-ward

TurboTax help says I should be able to claim dependant care expenses but it wont let me!

I am divorced.  My son spent 50% of the year living with me.  I earn more so according to TurboTax help I am the custodial parent.  Per our divorce agreement, mum is claiming son as dependent.  Again according to TurboTax help I should still be able to claim dependent care expenses, but it wont let me.  TurboTax help says "Custodial Parent of Child - The custodial parent who doesn't claim a tax exemption for a child can claim the dependent care credit if that parent meets all the following conditions: 1. You are the custodial parent 2.The child was under the age of 13 3. The noncustodial parent is entitled to claim the child as a tax dependent".

Any help appreciated! Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax help says I should be able to claim dependant care expenses but it wont let me!

Earnings have nothing to do with being a custodial parent. A custodial parent is the one with whom the child lives. Qualifying child.   To be your qualifying child, a child must live with you for more than half the year and meet other requirements.

Only the custodial parent may claim child care expenses, even if the non-custodial parent claims the dependency exemption.

matt-ward

Thanks Colleen but your answer is in direct contradiction to the Turbo Tax help feature which leaves me in a worse position than I was before I asked!  I have attached a screen shot to my original question.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies