Feferan1950

Domestic Partner

So me and my Spouse have always filed separately I file head of house and claim my daughter as a dependent and he files single, we are not and have never been legally married. In order for me to claim him on my health insurance for a new job they require me to claim him as a Domestic Partner and I want to know: 1. Should I file the affidavit for domestic partnership and allow the insurance premiums to be calculated as imputed taxable income. 2. How can I expect this to affect me on my 2021 return, and 3. Is there a better recommendation for my situation. 

Irene2805

Domestic Partner

1. If you elect to have your partner covered under your plan, you will pay income tax and Social Security payroll tax on the portion of the insurance premium that your employer contributes to your partner’s policy.
  2. You should check your state law concerning domestic partnerships.  You cannot file a joint federal return, and I suspect your state is the same.
  3. Before committing to the employer plan, do some research on alternative insurance options.  Maybe your partner can be covered under his own policy instead of your employer's policy.

Here are some articles that may help:

Domestic Partner

What state do you live in?