Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lperrault

Does the amount in W2 box 14 medical expenses get used in Turbo TAX or can I use that amount when entering my medical expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does the amount in W2 box 14 medical expenses get used in Turbo TAX or can I use that amount when entering my medical expenses?

Most box 14 entries on the W-2 are informational and are not used in TurboTax.

You need to ask your employer if the amount in box 14 for medical expenses (premiums for insurance? What is this?) is pre-tax or not.

Insurance premiums that are after-tax can be deducted on Schedule A (Itemized Deductions). 

May I assume that this is not an FSA or HRA contribution? Those are not reported on your return at all.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

is this really in box 14 or box 12? If in box 12, what is the code with it? If on box 14, what is the description?
lperrault

In Box 14  :  It says  OTHER:

Most box 14 entries on the W-2 are informational and are not used in TurboTax.

You need to ask your employer if the amount in box 14 for medical expenses (premiums for insurance? What is this?) is pre-tax or not.

Insurance premiums that are after-tax can be deducted on Schedule A (Itemized Deductions). 

May I assume that this is not an FSA or HRA contribution? Those are not reported on your return at all.

lperrault

Yes, those are pre-tax medical expenses, but since they are medical expenses nonetheless, can't I deduct them?

"Pre-tax" expenses means that they were removed from your income (from Wages). You can't deduct things that were never in your income in the first place, because it already got done when they were removed from Wages.

So if an employer puts pre-tax HSA/FSA and Health Insuarance premium in box 14, TurboTax wants a Category and there appears to be nothing that matches up well do describe or define either of these types data.  If you choose category "Other (not classified)" will those amounts be treated in TurboTax as pre-tax dollars with no affect on the tax calculations??

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You are correct, if you choose the "other" category for numbers listed in box 14, it will normally have no affect on your tax return. Normally, it is the numbers in box 12 that can have an affect on your taxable income, while the items in box 14 are more for information purposes. 

In the case of HSA contributions, they are benefits that are not taxable to you and as such have not been included in your wages reported in box 1 on your W-2 form, so the entry in box 14 won't be treated as a deduction from or addition to your income if you categorize it as "Other."

@thall63 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies