Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i need to notify IRS or do i need to pay tax on 100k money transfer from my foreign saving account to US bank account?

i used to live in Ireland, the money i earn their through my job i left in Irish bank in saving account. I'm now US green card holder. now if I like to bring this money from Irish bank to my US account do i need to submit any form, or pay any tax? this income is before i came to the US. I paid tax to Irish Gov when i earn this money through legal income. could you please advise.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Do i need to notify IRS or do i need to pay tax on 100k money transfer from my foreign saving account to US bank account?

You don't pay tax moving your own money from one account to another.  You do/did owe income tax on any interest that the money has been earning in the Irish account for any years that you were a US taxpayer, even if you didn't get US style tax documents for the income.  The banks will likely notify the IRS automatically due to the size of the transfer but this does not by itself create a taxable event for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies