Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I get a tax credit for installing a 220V car charger at home?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

56 Replies
Leonard
Intuit Alumni

No there is no federal tax credit for installing an electric car charger at your home in 2018. The 30% federal tax credit for installing electric vehicle charging stations at your home or business expired at the end of 2017.  However, some states still have a tax credit for installing electric vehicle charging stations at your home.

The link below provides information that you may find useful.

https://www.clippercreek.com/ev-incentives/

Did this change due to an amendment made to the year-end spending bill, taxpayers will once again qualify for a 30% rebate (up to $1,000) on costs associated with the installation of an EV charging station.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

It does appear as though there will be a credit available for installing an Electric Vehicle Charger at home for 2019.  

"Sec. 103. Credit for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property (sec. 30C). The provision extends through 2019 a credit for the installation of alternative fuel vehicle refueling property placed in service before 2020 Available for property that dispenses alternative fuels including ethanol, biodiesel, natural gas, hydrogen, and electricity, the credit is capped at $30,000 per location for business property and $1,000 for property installed at a principal residence." Tax Extenders 2019

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does the credit only apply to the charger or for the installation of 240V electrical outlet also?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Possibly.  This depends on a few things. 

In order to claim the credit for the installation of the outlet, the following criteria would have to be met:

• The recharging property must be located where the vehicle is recharged.
  • You placed it in service during the tax year
  • You were the original user
  • If installed on NON-business/investment property, the property location must be your main home.   For 8911 instructions

Also, please note, this credit was extended for the 2019 tax year so the forms and instructions are not yet available for 2019.  

df7
Level 1

Is there a way to sign up for notifications when this form becomes available in TurboTax? I could not find such a means. Thanks

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

While TurboTax does not provide form notification, you can click Forms Availability to see when form 8936 will be available.  The current availability date is February 5, 2020.

Form 8936 is not the EVSE form. We are looking for 8911 which is missing from the "IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products" list and the "Which IRS forms are not included in TurboTax?" list.

RobertG
Expert Alumni

According to this IRS website Legislative Impact on Tax Forms the forms for the Credit for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property are not available for 2019 yet.

The website states "For now, taxpayers can file as they normally would, but cannot claim any of these expired provisions."

@lonnielevi

It looks like turbo tax updated their supported form listing.

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

It says now that "Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit" will be available 02/12/2020.

Turbo tax updated their supported form listing yet again.

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

It says now that "Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit" will be available 02/20/2020.

^This site now shows that it's available, but I can't find it. When I type in 8911 it takes me to the 'General Business Credit' page, which has 8911 as one of the options to manually type in.

I filled out the 8911 manually and then entered the details on the form above, but my return was rejected because I didn't attached 8911. So, I'm guessing it's still not working? 

Anyone figure this out?

Look in the Deductions and Credits section. You may have to click a button that says "Show more tax breaks" 

Even though the installation would seem to be an improvement to your house, the 8911 data is in a section under "Car" in the same section that mentions Electric Vehicles. I think if you go through the interactive questionnaire for installing a car charger in the Car section of Deductions & Credits you'll end up with an attached form 8911.

Found it! Thank you 🙂

For other's reference, DavidGreene was spot on. Deductions & Credits -> More Tax Breaks -> Car -> Energy Efficient Vehicle Charging Station

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies