turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RJAL
Level 1

Dividend VS K1

Three separate but related questions 

As a multi-partnership LLC,that files taxes as an S Corp on form 1120S, is my (1040 since the business doesn't pay tax) tax liability less if I pay out the profit at the end of the year as dividends or receive a K1? 

Furthermore, would the Section 179 Deduction still apply to dividends received as it does to Ordinary Income on a K1?

As an example, the business earns a gross profit of $220,000 a year and the distribution, or profit would be $31,000 after expenses.  I am the only partner, who actively participates, that takes a salary. So this begs the question, would it be a better option to limit my tax liability by paying a salary to the other two non-participating partners? Or to split the 31k by share ownership via 1099DIV or K1?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Dividend VS K1

s corps don't issue 1099DIV so it's a K-1......if you pay salaries to non-participating partners the corp has to cough up payroll taxes and they add to your expenses.....better off splitting the 31k.

RJAL
Level 1

Dividend VS K1

If I pay taxes on salaries for non-participating partners the tax rate is 15.3 % compared to household income being in the 24% tax bracket. I'm distributed $28k of the 31k  ona K1, on top of my salary of 60k, and my wife's salary is 100k.  Still split it up? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies