turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent

I claimed my son as a dependent but he did his taxes first and did not put that someone could claim him as a dependent what do I do or does he do

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Dependent

MY DEPENDENT CLAIMED HIS OWN EXEMPTION

Your dependent filed a return without saying he could be claimed on your return and your return was rejected?  AFTER his return has been fully processed and he has received his refund, he has to file an amended return that says he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  Amended returns (form 1040X) have to be printed and mailed.  They cannot be e-filed; it takes the IRS a couple of months to process them.  Meanwhile, since your e-filed return has been rejected, you now have to print and mail it in to the IRS.  You will not be able to e-file. You do not have to wait for your dependent’s amended return to be processed.  Remember that when you mail a return, you need to include copies of your W-2, etc. with your return.

For your dependent:

How do I amend my 2019 TurboTax Online return?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Staceylee3
Returning Member

Dependent

I am trying to amend for the same reasons but can't find on where to check "child can be claimed as a dependent.  I'm assuming its under personal information but its only asking for income and general information.

Dependent

The question about being claimed as a dependent appears in My Info.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies