turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SYOHE4

Did PMI get extended for 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies

Just recently yes....now the final forms need to be re-done with this retroactive change.   What a mess, who knows how long till the form will be ready.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

and now the fun begins!
SYOHE4

Yes, I filed my federal return 2 days ago. I’m wondering if it is worth it to amend the return

So do we wait to amend after receiving our refund?

Yes, wait for the original return to complete processing....refund approved and sent.  Then prepare the amended, print, sign and mail it in.
alsh31

Now that PMI has been extended ,Can I enter in mortgage insurance premiums into box 5? Working on my return now. My box 5 is blank but the info I need is listed below on the form. I called my mortgage company and they said I could put it in but to check with an accountant. At the time the 1098 was printed congress hadn't approved it. I just want to ensure I am doing this correctly.

@alsh31 - TurboTax issued an update today that allows the box 5 PMI.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
alsh31

macuser_22 wonderful thank you!

But if we've already filed and received our refund before PMI was reinstated, can we amend it online or do we have to print, mail, etc?
alsh31

unfortunately, it must be amended

Do  not amend until after the original return has been fully processed and refund received.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

"or do we have to print, mail, etc"

Yes, amended returns can only be printed and mailed.

Turbotax was updated to allow the deduction for mortgage insurance premiums as of February 22, 2018.  It's included in the entry for mortgage interest.

Remember that the usual rules still apply: there are income limits, and pre-paid lump sum amounts must be spread out over 84 months, you can only deduct the number of months worth that you paid in 2017.  (Up front lump sum amounts for the VA funding fee and Rural Housing Authority are fully deductible, and monthly premiums are fully deductible.)

Also, because the deduction expired at the end of 2016 and was not renewed until 2018, many banks did not report mortgage insurance on their 1098 forms.  If you don't know your PMI or MIP amount, contact your mortgage lender.

deleted

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies