Claim Foster Child

mmpwhit

Claim Foster Child

We started fostering last year and got a placement  in October. We picked her up from the hospital 2 days after she was born. I know to claim a foster child they have to live with you for more than 6 months. Since she was born in Octobe and we had her since the beginning is there a way to claim her? 

VictoriaD75

Claim Foster Child

If the foster child was in your home for 6 months + 1 day you can claim the child. If the child was born in the current tax year, then it would be 1/2 their life +1 day.

mmpwhit

Claim Foster Child

That was my understanding as well. When I put the information in the Turbo Tax software it states that they do not qualify. Not for sure how to get around this. 

CatinaT1

Claim Foster Child

You will need to show she lived with you the entire year since she was born this year.

Claim Foster Child

Since the child lived with you more than half the time since birth, she qualifies as a dependent.  Because of how Turbotax asks the question, answer "all year" (or anything longer than 7 months) to get her qualified.

Also, she must have been placed by an authorized agency under state law.  Some private placements may not qualify.

Also also, she needs a social security number.  If you don't have it but it is applied for, don't file until you get it.  Get an extension until October 15 if you need to.  Certain tax credits will only be paid if the child has a valid SSN when you file an "on time" tax return.  If you can't get an SSN because of the situation, but you are planning to adopt, you can apply for a temporary adoption tax number. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/taxpayer-identification-numbers-tin

mmpwhit

Claim Foster Child

Thank you for the info. I will put the whole year. I did request the SSN and received it and she was placed by a the state agency.