Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ykn2
Returning Member

Child Tax Credit - only 1 child qualifies

I am divorced and have 2 children. By mutual agreement with my ex-husband, I have claimed both children for my tax return since 2013. For 2022, turbotax says I can claim only 1 of 2 children. The one I cannot claim was 17 years old at the end of 2022. Per diagnosis, turbotax says I can claim him as my dependent, yet it's letting me claim only 1 child.  Could this situation happen if my ex-husband already filed his return claiming our 17 year old? My ex-husband has stopped communicating with me over a year ago that I cannot confim with him. Is there any way I can find out if he claimed the 17 year old? 

We do not have any written agreement about who to claim the children. If my ex-husband already claimed a child, there's no way for me to claim the child now?

Or could there be any other reason why I cannot claim one of my children?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

There is no way TurboTax can know if your ex is claiming him. Since he is 17 you can no longer get child tax credit ($2,000) for him but you can get $500. Why do you believe TurboTax won’t let you claim him?  Go over the interview to claim him carefully again. 

ykn2
Returning Member

Thank you so much for your quick response! I thought we receive child tax credit for children up to 17 year old. May I ask what is the $500 you mentioned? Do both children qualify for $500 credit, i.e. $2,500 ($2,000 + $500) for 13 year old and $500 for 17 year old?

It’s no wonder you’re confused because in 2021 a 17 year old could get that credit. But in 2022 they have to be under age 17. For the younger one in 2022 you get $2,000 and $500 for the 17 year old. 

@ykn2 wrote:

Thank you so much for your quick response! I thought we receive child tax credit for children up to 17 year old. May I ask what is the $500 you mentioned? Do both children qualify for $500 credit, i.e. $2,500 ($2,000 + $500) for 13 year old and $500 for 17 year old?

There is a child tax credit of up to $2000 (depending on income and tax owed) for dependents who meet the definition of "qualifying child dependent" and who are 16 or less on December 31.  (This was temporarily increased to age 17 last tax season but it has reverted to the normal rules.)

Qualifying child dependents who are over age 16, and any dependent who is a "qualifying relative dependent" will get you a $500 credit for "other dependents".

The credits do not stack. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies