dominopie

child dependent credit

I'm a single parent and have joint custody of my daughter.  My parenting plan stipulates that i am able to add my daughter as a dependent on even years so i was able to take advantage of tax credit for my 2020 taxes.   this child tax credit is confusing for those who have joint custody of there and who share that tax credit.  i am currently receiving the $250 and wonder what will happen to my taxes for 2021.   since my daughter's mom is able to file for the child tax credit for odd years i won't be able to get the remaining amount for the deducted on my taxes for 2021.   I'm just wondering if you've come across this.  i'm not sure if she is also receiving the tax credit as well since the IRS is also looking at 2020 and 2019 tax returns.

fkbright

child dependent credit

Good afternoon!

Yours is not an uncommon situation.  The IRS automatically enrolled whoever was able to claim the child as a dependent on their 2020 tax return to receive the advanced payment of the 2021 child tax credit.

Any payment received will need to be reconciled on your 2021 tax return.  If you are not able to claim your daughter for 2021 (per your parenting plan) then you will likely have to repay the credit you received.

You can go to the IRS Child Tax Credit Update Portal to unenroll (stop) receiving the advanced payment and reduce the impact on your 2021 taxes.  Here is a link to that portal:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/child-tax-credit-update-portal

Your daughter's mother will be able to receive the full credit if she claims your daughter on her 2021 tax return (and is otherwise qualified to claim the credit).

I hope this is helpful to you.

Kind regards,

fkbright

lillygirl0124

child dependent credit

Who do I talk to about a reimbursement for charges intuit charged me they owe me a check and haven't received it 

lillygirl0124

child dependent credit

I received 1 of 2 checks nearly 6 weeks ago, where is my second check from intuit. They owe me a $130 processing fee in which I still haven't received but yet the $60 check was sent to me right away with no delays. 

child dependent credit

@lillygirl0124 No one in the user forum can help resolve a billing issue.  We have no access to your account.

If you have a question about your TurboTax fees or billing, make sure you use the word “billing” in your request for help.  Do not use the word “refund.”

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

87Husky

child dependent credit

I have sole custody of  2 sons and a daughter . 

child dependent credit

@87Husky 

You posted a statement ... do you have a question ?    If so start your own thread.