icefyre123

Charitable donation to a private school

Hello, 

I am looking to make a sizeable donation to a private school in a different state. My kids will not attend the school but I believe in its mission. This is a Jewish day school but I don't believe it is a non-profit. Would I be able to write off my donation to the school in next year's tax returns?

Thanks!

Charitable donation to a private school

If the school is a for-profit institution then any donations to the school are not deductible on a tax return as a charitable donation.

Mike9241

Charitable donation to a private school

you get no charitable deduction for contributing to a for-profit organization.

rather than guess  

• Check with the organization to which you'll make the donation. The organization should be able to provide you with verification of its charitable status.
• Use our the IRS online search tool at
https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search 

icefyre123

Charitable donation to a private school

The school says it is a 501(c)(3) organization. Would donations to this type of organization be considered tax deductible?

Charitable donation to a private school

@icefyre123 wrote:

Yes.

See this TurboTax website for information - https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/charitable-contributions/are-contributions-to-nonprofit-schools...

The Internal Revenue Code allows taxpayers to claim a deduction for donations they make to qualified organizations. A qualified organization includes most nonprofit schools that operate exclusively for educational and literary purposes. However, a donation may not be tax deductible if the school engages substantially in other activities unrelated to charitable, scientific, humanitarian or religious purposes.

Charitable donation to a private school

501(c)(3) is one of the type of organizations that are eligible for tax-exempt donations.  The organization must be listed on the IRS web site linked above.   They must also give you a receipt if your donation is more than $75. You must also have a bank record of any money donation (credit card transaction record, canceled check, etc.)