Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Capital Loss Carryover - Not adding up for Stocks section

On the "Your income" screen, I'm trying to decide why the "Capital Loss Carryover" doesn't show what I think it should.  Adding a loss to the Stocks (etc) section doesn't change the capital loss carryover.  Adding a loss to the Contracts and Straddles does though.

BTW, I understand the 3k/year loss (personally think that number is too low and hasn't been raised in many many years).  

Example

Detail20202021
Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other$1,000$0
Capital Loss Carryover-$42,000-$39,000
Contracts and Straddles-$36,000$0

When adding to Stocks section, no change to Capital Loss Carryover

Detail20202021
Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other$1,000-$10,000
Capital Loss Carryover-$42,000-$39,000
Contracts and Straddles-$36,000$0

When adding to Contracts and Straddles, the Capital Loss Carryover does change accordingly (input -10k, goes to -$49,000 Carryover).

One thing to note: When I go to the 'Stocks, Cryptocurrency, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other' section, TurboTax does still give me this warning:  

"We need to re-enter your sales!  We stopped importing your sales because you've reached our transaction limit for either non-covered sales (4,000) or for all sales total (10,000)."
I had re-entered a summary for what I thought it was complaining about -- maybe I need to do with others. But, I don't think this should keep the Capital Loss Carryover from updating. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately that warning very well may be interfering with the system finishing its calculation.  You should delete your 1099-Bs and enter the summaries for the transactions and then attach the pdfs of the forms you received.  That should fix the issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Unfortunately that warning very well may be interfering with the system finishing its calculation.  You should delete your 1099-Bs and enter the summaries for the transactions and then attach the pdfs of the forms you received.  That should fix the issue.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes, I deleted the crypto imports and the Capital Loss Carryover worked as expected for the stocks.  I logged a ticket with TurboTax. 

Unfortunately, importing crypto transactions isn't easy when you have a lot of them.  Doing a summary might be just as challenging for exchanges that don't good docs.

When a user finds a defect in the software, TurboTax should give the software for free that year.  🙂 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies