Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Capital Gains on home sale due to job loss?

If I sold my home in 2021 and I had it less than 2 years but lost my job, do I have to report capital gains on the sale? I was told no but am looking to verify.
2 Replies
Level 15

Capital Gains on home sale due to job loss?

You will have to report the sale since you did not own and live in the home for at least two years during the 5 year period on the date of sale.  However, you would be able to use a partial capital gain exclusion due to unforeseen circumstances such as the loss of your job.


Go to IRS Publication 523, Sale of Home page 6 -


Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Less Common Income
On Sale of Home (gain or loss), click the start or update button

Or enter sale of home in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to sale of home


Gain or Loss on the sale of a personal residence = Selling Price minus Sales Expenses minus Adjusted Basis of the home (Purchase price plus the cost of any improvements to the home prior to the sale)

Level 15

Capital Gains on home sale due to job loss?

@kellydswing - note that it is the exclusion that is adjusted, not the capital gains itself...... if you are single and let's say you owned / lived in the house for 1 year, instead of a $250,000 exclusion, you'd have half of that or $125,000 exclusion.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies