turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I take the standard deduction for my NC taxes if I itemized deductions on my federal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Can I take the standard deduction for my NC taxes if I itemized deductions on my federal?

Generally, Yes. Like many other states, North Carolina doesn't permit all the same deductions as the federal Schedule A (such as the deduction for state income taxes), so your NC itemized may be lower than the NC standard. In that case, you would want to select NC standard. You are not forced to take a lower NC itemized just because you itemized on the federal return.

From NC instructions, page 7:

http://www.dor.state.nc.us/downloads/D401.pdf

If you itemized your deductions on your federal return, you may claim either the N.C. itemized deductions OR the N.C. standard deduction on your State return unless you are not entitled to the N.C. standard deduction.

Exceptions:  If you are (1) married filing a separate return for North Carolina income tax purposes and your spouse itemizes deductions, or (2) a nonresident alien, or (3) filing a short-year return because of a change in your accounting period, you are not entitled to the standard deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies