babygirl097

Can I file the theft of my personal property on my taxes? If so, how do I go about doing that on turbo tax?

Anita01

Yes, you can report the theft of personal items that were not covered by your insurance. If the items lost were covered by insurance, you must file a claim with the insurance company and deduct any amount of reimbursement you expect.

Theft Losses are defined by the IRS as " the taking and removal of money or property with the intent to deprive the owner of it. The taking must be illegal under the law of the state where it occurred and must have been done with criminal intent."

You would enter this theft under Federal taxes, Deductions and Credits, Casualty and Theft.  The downside of this deduction is that, once you figure the value of the items stolen and your potential loss, you must then subtract $100 plus 10% of your adjusted gross Income for the year.  Only the amount left is deductible.

Anita01