turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I file the theft of my personal property on my taxes? If so, how do I go about doing that on turbo tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Anita01

Can I file the theft of my personal property on my taxes? If so, how do I go about doing that on turbo tax?

Yes, you can report the theft of personal items that were not covered by your insurance. If the items lost were covered by insurance, you must file a claim with the insurance company and deduct any amount of reimbursement you expect.

Theft Losses are defined by the IRS as " the taking and removal of money or property with the intent to deprive the owner of it. The taking must be illegal under the law of the state where it occurred and must have been done with criminal intent."

You would enter this theft under Federal taxes, Deductions and Credits, Casualty and Theft.  The downside of this deduction is that, once you figure the value of the items stolen and your potential loss, you must then subtract $100 plus 10% of your adjusted gross Income for the year.  Only the amount left is deductible.

Hey, I am trying to add a theft of 64000 cash. It will let me add this.

Enter a brief description of the event, such as "hurricane," "flood," or "theft", the date of occurrence, and the type of property destroyed or stolen.

Description
 Date

Property Type:

Personal Property (includes home offices deducted under the Simplified Method)

Income-Producing Property (e.g. Business property, Investment property)

And it lets me add the fair market value and 0 % recovered but it ends up looking like this and there is not a credit applied.

Casualty and Theft Summary
Here's what we have so far. You can addedit (change) or delete casualty and theft events.

CASUALTY OR THEFT EVENTDATEBUSINESS PROPERTY 
theft11/22/2022- Edit Delete
 Add a Casualty or Theft
If you have no other casualty and theft events, select Done.

Please let me know your thouights on how to get it to apply the $64000 theft.  Thanks so much. I apprecaite your help. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies