turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

marciadey

Can I deduct vitamins under medical deductions?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can deduct vitamins if they are specifically recommended by your doctor as treatment for your medical condition.  If you take them to maintain your general health - they are not deductible.

Per IRS: "You can't include in medical expenses the cost of nutritional supplements, vitamins, herbal supplements, “natural medicines,” etc. unless they are recommended by a medical practitioner as treatment for a specific medical condition diagnosed by a physician. These items are taken to maintain your ordinary good health and aren't for medical care.

For a list of all deductible medical expenses, please click here.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can deduct vitamins if they are specifically recommended by your doctor as treatment for your medical condition.  If you take them to maintain your general health - they are not deductible.

Per IRS: "You can't include in medical expenses the cost of nutritional supplements, vitamins, herbal supplements, “natural medicines,” etc. unless they are recommended by a medical practitioner as treatment for a specific medical condition diagnosed by a physician. These items are taken to maintain your ordinary good health and aren't for medical care.

For a list of all deductible medical expenses, please click here.

cali
Returning Member

Where would I report these in TurboTax? Is there a cap on it?
light46

Where would I report these in Turbo Tax for 2018 tax year?

Does this include supplement prescribed by a naturopath? (for a condition diagnosed by a physician). 

IsabellaG
Expert Alumni

I would say that unless the naturopath is a licensed medical professional who is legally permitted to recommend treatment, you should probably have your doctor recommend the vitamins if you wish to support your deduction. It's unlikely that the IRS would consider the naturopath to be a "medical practitioner" without the appropriate license.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Momof4g3b

My son was diagnosed ODD by one counselor and with anxiety and depression by his new counselor, who recommended we could try herbal over the counter supplements before she spoke to her colleague about prescription medication. The herbal supplements are helping control his ODD outbursts. Even though no formal "prescription" is written, can they still be claimed?

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Nonprescription supplements, vitamins, over-the-counter medications, toothpaste, health club memberships, and medical marijuana (even if it's legal in your state) are not deductible as Medical expenses.

Please read this TurboTax Help topic for more information.

@Momof4g3b

rebecca7

Do intravenous treatments, such as ozone therapy or amino acid/vitamin/etc. IV bags, qualify as a "medical expense?"  they were proscribed by a licensed N.D. in California.

GiseleD
Expert Alumni

The cost of prescribed medicines is deductible. Nonprescription drugs and medicines are not deductible.

Imported drugs: Imported prescription drugs can be deducted only if imported legally. The cost of prescribed drugs purchased and consumed in another country are deductible only if the drug is legal in both the other country and the United States.

I'm not familiar with a ND. Did you mean to say MD (medical doctor)? 

Learn more here.

@rebecca7

Where in the tax code are you finding your answer to this question? My understanding is that if the "medicine" can be purchased without a prescription, it is not deductible.

I think your answer would be clearer if you said "unless a prescription is REQUIRED to purchase the drug, medication, supplement, vitamin, etc." it is NOT deductible. IRC 213 (d) (3)

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Please review this link published by turbo Tax. You can also read this on page 16 in the following IRS link under Nutritional Supplements.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies