turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ddd258

Can I deduct the cost of the certification exams I am required to take to move from a teacher to a principal?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I deduct the cost of the certification exams I am required to take to move from a teacher to a principal?

Yes, to be deductible, your expenses must be for education that either maintains or improves your job skills, or is required by your employer or by law to keep your salary, status or job.

To claim educational expenses, you must be employed at the time of payment

Expenses to learn a new trade or job or to qualify for a new career aren't deductible.

However, to deduct unreimbursed employee business expenses (such as your exams), you must

1.  Have enough itemized deductions (ie. Medical, mortgage interest, property taxes, charitable giving, ect) to exceed your Standard Deduction.

2.  If you itemize, your deduction is limited to the extent that it exceeds 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income.

So, you may not gain a tax benefit for this deduction due to the above limitations.

For example, if you itemize your deductions and your Adjusted Gross Income is $50,000, 2% would equal $1,000

You can only deduct the dollar amount that exceeds $1,000.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies