Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Can i claime foreign earned income exclusion if i am a green card holder

i worked in italy, but I already paid my taxes there. what do i have to do not to pay double taxes? thanks
1 Reply
Level 7

Can i claime foreign earned income exclusion if i am a green card holder

If you meet certain requirements, you may qualify for the foreign earned income and foreign housing exclusions and the foreign housing deduction.

If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to exclude from income up to an amount of your foreign earnings that is adjusted annually for inflation ($101,300 for 2016).

Form 2555 (Foreign Earned Income Exclusion) calculates the amount of foreign earned income and/or foreign housing you can exclude from taxation. Form 2555-EZ is a simplified version of this form.

Here's how to add – or remove – a Form 2555 or 2555-EZ from your return:

  1. Open your return.
    (To do this, sign into TurboTax and click the orange Take me to my return button.)
  2. Do a search for foreign income, and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. Continue through the foreign income section, answering questions as you go, until you reach the screen Do you want to try and exclude your foreign earned income? (if single), or Whose Foreign Income Would You Like to Try and Exclude? (if married).
  4. Answer Yes (to add a 2555 or 2555-EZ – we'll figure out which one you need) or No (to remove it), click Continue, and follow any on-screen instructions.

Tip: The -T or -S suffix after the 2555 stands for taxpayer or spouse, respectively.

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies