Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I Claim the Purchase of internet to work from home? I did not have internet and our office closed and now only work remotely per COVID 19?

If i had to purchase Internet to work from home would it qualify?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I Claim the Purchase of internet to work from home? I did not have internet and our office closed and now only work remotely per COVID 19?

If you are an employee who receives a W-2 your employee business expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return due to the tax code changes in effect for tax years 2018 thru 2025.

if you get a w-2 these are employee business expenses that are no longer deductible

@DoninGA wrote:

If you are an employee who receives a W-2 your employee business expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return due to the tax code changes in effect for tax years 2018 thru 2025.

However, you can list your miscellaneous itemized deduction in Turbotax because some states still allow the deduction, depending on your other tax situations.

However (again), in order to deduct an expense as work-related when the expense is partly work-related and partly personal, you must allocate the work-related part to the business and you must have some reasonable written or computer record that supports your allocation.  What percentage of your home internet would you allocate to your job, and how would you prove it if audited?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies