turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim dependent care if the babysitter I paid did not pay taxes on the babysitting payment?

To claim the child care credit I have to provide the babysitter's SSN.  Does this mean the babysitter is required to pay taxes on the money she earned from us?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim dependent care if the babysitter I paid did not pay taxes on the babysitting payment?

Yes it does mean the babysitter should be reporting the income on her own return.  Whether she does so or not is not your responsibility.  You report the childcare expense along with her tax ID or SSN in order to claim the childcare credit, and make sure the childcare provider knows you have reported the expense and the amount reported.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes it does mean the babysitter should be reporting the income on her own return.  Whether she does so or not is not your responsibility.  You report the childcare expense along with her tax ID or SSN in order to claim the childcare credit, and make sure the childcare provider knows you have reported the expense and the amount reported.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
cm76089

What if I want to report the expense but babysitter does not want to provide her SSN and she didn't report on her taxes. But you still paid her for 2016?

On form 2441 you can report that the childcare provider will not give you a SSN or Tax ID.  You  must then provide as much information about that person as you can, such as name, address, etc. and attach a statement to the 2441.  You will have to mail your tax return instead of e-filing it.  (And you will probably need to find a new sitter)
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies