Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I change the Mortgage Interest Limited Smart worksheet to say NO to the question Does your mortgage interest need to be limited?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Replies

Can I change the Mortgage Interest Limited Smart worksheet to say NO to the question Does your mortgage interest need to be limited?

So, for 2022 the same error is happening. I lost my $3000 refund due to a glitch this morning. I am using the online version but there is no way to go to the worksheet to fix this issue! Your support "expert" told me the only solution was to clear and start over! Seriously!!! This glitch needs to be fixed so that I and others can get their mortgage interest credits.

I'm having the same issue.  This needs to be fixed ASAP.

The link you provided is giving this error:

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Yes, that link they gave last year is broken. I am quite aggravated that this happened. When I called for support last night, the "Expert" was clueless. Her only solution was for me to clear and start over!  I told her if I do that, I will leave TT and go to H&R Block! 

The solution for those who use the CD is not the same for those of us who use the online version. Why would I buy a CD when I have no CD drive in my laptop and can access this information online? What a joke.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes, the old link doesn't apply this year, but you should not need to clear/start over.  If your mortgage interest deduction is showing as limited, this year you have the opportunity to enter an adjustment based on your calculations.  Neither the worksheet nor your form 1098 entries are part of the forms transmitted to the IRS.  So be sure to keep your calculations with your tax records should the issue ever come up. 

There is an entry somewhere that is causing the limitation and it is usually related to entering multiple forms 1098.  Try working in the step-by-step mode.  For the best results you'll need to delete all the 1098 entries and start fresh. 

Follow these steps.

Be advised the mortgage worksheets are not part of the forms that are filed with the IRS.   Follow these steps to correct/eliminate the limitation on your mortgage interest deduction:

1. Deductions and Credits
  2. I'll choose what I work on
  3. Update Mortgage Interest topic
  4. Delete both 1098s
  5. Done
  6. Update the Mortgage interest topic
  7. Yes
  8. Put in oldest loan first
  9. Primary or Secondary Home as needed
  10. None of the above
  11. Enter form information from old loan
  12. Continue
  13. No points to deduct
  14. Yes Most Recent if this is the only loan on this home; No if you have another 1098 for a loan on the same home
  15. Answer the Refi questions as needed
  16. Continue
  17. Add a lender
  18. Same steps as above for the new loan
  19. Continue
  20. Done
  21. If there is a limitation introduced you'll be asked to review the entries to enter any payoff information
  22. Now you should see the page explaining the limitation
  23. You can click the help me with this link and see that if you take your loan balance at the beginning of the year box 2 old loan and add it to the balance of new loan at end of year (loan amount 1 Jan 2023) and then divide by 2.  If the average is below 750,000 that means all of your interest is deductible. 
  24. In the "Your Adjustments" box enter the total interest paid for 2022 from box 1 of your 1098s
  25. Continue

If you need you can re-post with specific loan (1098) information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you. I have followed these steps at least 4 times now since last Thursday. There is no way for me to edit anything. I have deleted all 1098s and then cleared my browser cache, closed, opened a new browser, and then re-entered all 1098s. Everything you mention has been done. 

I have now reached out to the CEO's office and they have a few people looking into this glitch. As of last Wednesday evening, my refund had been almost $4000. After the message popped up on Thursday morning when I went to file, we lost $3000 from our refund. Since forms are not available with the online version, there is nothing that seems to work. 

When I saw the message last Thursday, it wanted a number in the box/message line above the screen that appeared for the form. I entered a zero and I believe this is where the box got checked as making our 1098s limited when they should not be limited, per the IRS. 

I am at a loss of what to do until the CEO's office gets with technical support. 

I appreciate the information and wish it worked as you state.

NOTE: We did not have a refinance and the only information on all 1098s relate to our mortgage loans with the interests paid to date. There are four total 1098s. One is our primary home and 3 are from secondary homes/Disney Vacation Club loans.

koppj

I have the same issue.  I have completely started over with my taxes and the same result.  When is this going to be fixed

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you.

@koppj 

Everyone,

Please note. If you use the online version, there are hidden aspects of the questions and forms. We cannot access the forms via the online version. We also cannot see the interview questions as shown in the downloadable version of TT. This is a huge problem.

I had to reach out to the CEO's office and was able to get help. BUT, the help was in the form of downloading the software, which I got help with for this situation. We were then able to find the mortgage interest form and fix the box incorrectly marked.  We saw questions appear that do not appear in the online version - (big glitch). This is not anything the technical or tax people can help you with at all, so good luck with their customer service experts who are clueless. None of the employees were aware of this situation and nobody could help. However, the people higher up did help me. So, I have filed my taxes and already got our refund this week.

Moving forward, I will not use the online version any longer. With the itemized deductions, mortgage interest credit, etc., the interview questions online are now skipped over. These questions no longer appear in the online version and for someone like me who has used the online version since 2013 - this was a real eye-opener.

TurboTax (upper management - not the ones we can get to through the website) are aware of this glitch, but there was no word as to when it would be fixed. In my research of this error, it seems that the system is reverting back to a glitch that happened back in February 2019 and continues to reset each February. I suggest going higher up the chain to get your issues resolved. It is sad this needs to happen, but unless the other employees are aware of the behind-the-scenes glitch, this problem will continue to happen to others. NONE of the experts through customer service could help me.

Good luck everyone. Next time, either use the software to download or go elsewhere. I may change my tax preparation software next year after this fiasco. 

koppj

Hi,

I did talk to an expert and she took control of my TurboTax Worksheet from remote and EXPERTLY fixed my problem.  THANK YOU

Good Morning!

I am experiencing the same "Mortagage Interest Credit Glitch. Do you have the contact information to the CEO's office? 

Warmest Regards

Hi,

I used this information and his team responded and fixed the problem. Just let them know you are using the online version and it skips key interview questions so you cannot edit or view any forms. 

https://www.ceoemail.com/s.php?id=ceo-10876

Best of luck.

Thank You!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies