macsfam

Can I carryover 2018 charitable deductions on next year's taxes, b/c I couldn't deduct this year due to exceeding $10,000 on state/local taxes plus property taxes?

I have another $8,000.00 I could not deduct in charitable donations, b/c our sales/local taxes plus property taxes total exceeded the $10,000.00 amount ...or does the standard deduction of $24,000 not allow me to carryover my charitable donations?

AnthonyC

The only time you can carryover charitable contributions is in cases where the contributions were limited because of your AGI (see IRS pub 526, page 17 for more information on this if you want).

This doesn't appear to be your case, however.  If you are taking the standard deduction because you don't have enough total itemized deductions due to the new tax law restrictions, then you simply lose those charitable donations as deductions.  You can't carry them forward to another year.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p526.pdf

AnthonyC

macsfam

We had a total SALT deduction of $16,995., but b/c of $10K max had a loss of ($6,995) and also wasn't able to deduct $7,933. in charitable don.. Seems wrong that we can't carryover, or even deduct these amounts this year (total $14,928).  Is this correct? :(
AnthonyC

Unfortunately, it is correct.  You aren't able to carryover these unused itemized deductions.  Not all states are conforming to the federal law, so you should still enter them in the program (looks like you did though) in case it benefits your state return.